In today’s Vagina News… I spent some time today educating myself on the availability of abortion services in the US. Some highlights:
- Only 12% of US counties have an abortion provider, mostly in major metropolitan
- 35% of women live in a county with no abortion provider.
– There are no abortion providers in Wyoming, Missouri, Misissippi, or Hawaii.
- In 2001, of the 5,801 hospitals in the US, only 603 provided abortion services.
– A 1998 survey revealed that first trimester abortion
techniques are a routine part of training in only 46% of America’s ob-gyn
residency programs. About 34% offer this training only as an elective, and 7%
provide no opportunity at all for young doctors to learn to provide safe